Oscars ‘07

Academy can be funny at times and predicting the awards is a waste of human resources. Last year I’d seen all the major contenders and was quite sure about the winner – till Jack Nicholson pissed off us all. This time around I haven’t seen many of these movies *then the Academy people also don’t watch it all – like last time they didn’t watch Brokeback* and hell – I like predicting !

So here’s my take,

Best Picture : The Departed
Best Director : Martin Scorsese, The Departed
Best Actor : Peter O’Toole *perhaps*
Best Actress : Helen Mirren, Queen
Best Animated Film : Happy Feet
Best Documentary : An Inconvenient Truth
Best Visual Effects \ Art: Pirates of the Caribbean

Another three hours to go, then the Academy can be really funny,

My full list,

*****************************************************

Update :

Not bad…

Best Picture : The Departed [Winner]
Best Director : Martin Scorsese, The Departed [Winner]
Best Actor : Peter O’Toole *perhaps*
Best Actress : Helen Mirren, Queen [Winner]
Best Animated Film : Happy Feet [Winner]
Best Documentary : An Inconvenient Truth [Winner]
Best Visual Effects \ Art: Pirates of the Caribbean [Winner]

the Awards went to,

The best thing other than me getting it right this time was to see Martin Scorsese ending his “Legendary” Oscar drought. See why,

THE AVIATOR (2004) — Nominee, Directing
GANGS OF NEW YORK (2002) — Nominee, Directing
THE AGE OF INNOCENCE (1993) — Nominee, Writing (Adapted)
GOOD FELLAS (1990) — Nominee, Directing
GOOD FELLAS (1990) — Nominee, Writing (Adapted)
THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST (1988) — Nominee, Directing
RAGING BULL (1980) — Nominee, Directing

and never won !!

Marty winning the award for Best Director, presented to him by Francis Ford Coppola, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg together will go down as one of the finest moments in Academy history – and a moment to cherish for all who hold good cinema very close to their hearts. Wow ! what a night.

11 Responses to Oscars ‘07

1. Neihal February 26, 2007 at 11:21 am #

ok….so u were updating ur post. I thought it vanished 🙂
    yeah its good for Martin Scorsese, finally!!
    and congrats 😀

2. b v n February 26, 2007 at 2:30 pm #

I wouldn’t have updated the post had it been other way round *you know that :)*

3. alakananda February 26, 2007 at 6:52 pm #

good going bvn. ur predictions were almost all correct.:)
    and yes, it was indeed heart warming that scorcese finally got it. ‘much deserved’ would be an understatement here.

4. Jiby February 27, 2007 at 3:08 am #

wow…you came real close…now how do we poor bloggers get you nominated into the Academy…i never thought highly of its voting members after denying shyamalan his oscar for sixth sense.

that was a real surprising fact abt Scorsese…i hadnt known he never won before.

5. b v n February 27, 2007 at 3:28 am #

Alakananda, Academy had this guilty feeling for long, this time it was kinda sure. btw next week i’ll be predicting film fare awards and monsoon :))

Jiby, sheri sheri 🙂 this year they say its a sitter. btw American Beauty was hyped a lot that yr, plus even Green Mile lost that year. At least Nite should have gotten for script 🙁

6. alex February 27, 2007 at 5:01 pm #

I came thinking that ‘the lord of small fundas’ will have written a new post.

I am indeed happy about my prediction rather than yours. ;))

7. starry nights February 27, 2007 at 5:01 pm #

You were pretty close with your predictions.I am glad that Scorsese finally won.It was about time.

8. mathew February 27, 2007 at 7:14 pm #

it was nice to see martin winning..it was long over due..I have been a fan of since I saw ‘raging bull’

9. mathew February 27, 2007 at 7:18 pm #

i was so happy to see martin scorsese getting the award…long over due ..and he accepted with such humility..am a big fan of ‘raging bull’

10. b v n February 27, 2007 at 10:11 pm #

Alex, thats a good one, lil busy…you know rite :)))

Lalitha, Yes it was 🙂

Mathew, I share the same feelings. I know a lot of guys who are really happy abt this award – its like a load going off :))

11. pophabhi March 16, 2007 at 3:52 am #

“Wow” to your predictions!!
    Its really so good to see Marty win the oscar, finally….! the man deserved every bit of it. NO doubt.